I’ll be frank. This book didn’t much interest me when I first received it along with a furry stuffed elephant. Then I got another one and another one. Finally, I figured since the PR folks were trying so hard to get my attention, I’d give it a read.
And I’m glad I did.
Bag the Elephant : How to Win and Keep Big Customers is a great read for you if you are looking to do business with big companies. Steve Kaplan, the author, details the tips and techniques for getting into the door with a big company, winning contracts and keeping them as a customer. He also shares some of his big mistakes (glad they were his and not mine — I laughed out loud at some of these always “funny after the fact” snafus).
I’ve worked with Fortune 500 giants and government organizations and I’ll tell you, Steve is right on target in his advice.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to find your best big company prospects
- The best way to get in the door
- Negotiation techniques and tips
- How to think like a big company
- How to make the big company red tape work in your favor
- How to keep those big companies coming back for more business
- How not to bite off more than you can chew
If you have made your focus for next year “big company business” then get this book and take notes first. It will help you achieve your goal. And if you are currently working with a big company, it would be worthwhile to pick up and see just which techniques might help you get a bit more business.