At this time of year there’s always a plethora of content about
making resolutions and setting goals and planning your business. It’s
all good. One thing NOT to forget is to back up your data. All of it.
Here are a few of the systems you need to backup for your business:
- Your customer list is one of your biggest assets so this is critical. If you use KickStartCart
or any one of the private label versions of 1Shoppingcart, this is
really easy. Click on Clients and then on Export Clients. I also export
the list of sales and affiliate reports at the end of every month.
- Your accounting system. I use Quickbooks Pro and back up at least
every month. And, now’s the time to back up last year’s accounts. If
you use PayPal, you also should export your monthly records to your
- Your blogs! Wouldn’t you hate to lose all the amazing content
you’ve created??? In TypePad, you click on Manage and then
Import/Export. You’ll be exporting a plain text file with content only,
- Your email contacts. I use gmail for my email and it’s simple to
export your contact list in a csv file. Click on Contacts and at the
bottom of the page there is a link to export. I’d hate to have to
recreate my email address book!
- I haven’t figured out how to save my email yet, on gmail. I have at
least 20,000 emails and most serve as important documentation of client
projects. Have to figure that one out.
For my computer, I use Carbonite,
an online backup service that automatically backs up every file I
create within minutes. It’s total peace of mind for $49.95 per year. If
you’d like to test drive the system for free, let me know and I’ll send
you an invitation.
Sallie Goetsch, the FileSlinger has a backup reminder email and blog. Check out her post on year end backups.