Moving day is almost here. The packers arrive today to box up our items, and then they load them tomorrow or Thursday. We are heading to our temporary housing tonight and will be on the road next week, traveling from Southern California to our new home in Georgia.
While the move has been a bit stressful-come on, it’s not like when we moved out here with just two cats and ourselves to take care of – things have certainly been easier than I thought.
Through the use of the Internet I have been able to:
1. Hire contractors to get out to the new house and make estimates
2. Contact our movers with verification of dates
3. Change our address (yes, it’s true, go to www.usps.com and you can actually change your address online rather than standing in a really long, slow line at the posto office!)
4. Keep in touch with our realtor, mortgage broker and other people involved in the purchase of our home
5. Contact family members with both photos of our kids and our new contact information
6. Make and confirm reservations with hotels across the country
7. Read reviews about these hotels on www.tripadvisor.com
Honestly, I have done very little in person. Is this good, bad, or indifferent? I think it can be both but for this move has definitely been great. It has been good for me because I don’t have a lot of spare time and quite honestly dragging kids from the post office to the mover’s office would have been difficult and, well, exhausting! Sending pictures in the mail would have involved going to the store to develop the photos and then dropping them into envelopes, making sure to pay enough postage to cover the expense (which would mean a trip to the post office).
Now, I can do all of that with a few click of the keys.
So, I hope that all of you have a wonderful week next week. We will be heading across the country in our small caravan loaded down with toys, games, food and luggage. This is a huge adventure for us, and we plan to take full advantage of it. I’ll write more about the ways in which we are making travel easier on our young kids, and I’ll let you know if our ideas have worked, but for now I have to shower and get ready for the movers.