The holidays are upon us and many of you sales leaders may be wondering what you might get for your team members. Certainly there’s the typical take ‘em out for lunch or maybe a drink a day or two before Christmas. Maybe you plan on doing what most team leaders do—nothing other than wish them a Merry Christmas.
Well, I have an immodest proposal for you. Why not get them something that is inexpensive but that will significantly increase their production next year? That’s a win/win situation since it will increase both your and their income, make you both look good, your sales reports will shine, and you just might get that promotion you’ve been wanting—all for about $15 per team member.
So what’s going to do all of this for only $15?
I suggest you purchase each of your team members a copy of my book, Creating a Million Dollar a Year Sales Income: Sales Success through Client Referrals. (Wiley, 2007)
No, the title doesn’t claim that every one of your team members will be making a million dollars a year after reading it. The title comes from how the book’s referral process was developed. I interviewed 47 sellers across the US and Canada who each make a minimum of a million dollars a year and who generate the majority of business from referrals from their clients. I wanted to know what they were doing to be so successful with referrals while most sellers were struggling to get even a few great referrals a year.
What I found, not surprisingly, is they don’t ask for referrals like most of have been taught, but instead generate referrals by working closely with their clients to earn the right to get referrals and then to identify highly qualified prospects for the client to refer them to.
That’s the crux of the book—the disciplined process they use to generate a large number of high quality referrals from each of their clients.
Best of all, it’s a process you and your team members can learn and implement to greatly increase the number and quality of referrals you and your team members get.
A Few Book Endorsements and Reviews:
David Straker, ChangingMinds.com
“In the end, the joy that earns this book a rare five stars is the practical, thorough and innovative treatment of referrals that can have literally massive benefit to anyone, not just in sales, who wants to connect with valued other people.
Quite simply the best book on gaining and using referrals.”
From Dave Stein’s Review of Creating a Million Dollar a Year Sales Income
“Here is my recommendation for sales leaders. (A full-fledged plan will contain considerably more detail—this is just a starting point….)
- If your sales team hasn’t been effectively leveraging existing customers for referrals, determine why.
- Benchmark the level at which referrals business is being converted to sales.
- If the reason is that (you and) your salespeople don’t know how, invest in this book.
- Take the time to study Paul’s referral process and his recommendations.
- Set an objective. For example, referrals will be the source of 10% of our business next year.
- Devise a plan for adopting his process across your team.
- Build appropriate coursework, tools, coaching mechanisms. (This is a difficult proposition for a busy sales manager. You probably don’t have either the time or the skills. I’m sure Paul would be delighted to engage with you on this…)
- Train your team or get them trained.
- Deploy the process, measure results against your benchmark and objective and refine.”