You may be thinking a lot about health insurance and reducing those costs lately. However, we often overlook auto insurance, with a set it and forget it kind of attitude. But are you paying for extra things like towing and accident forgiveness?
I’m pretty happy with my insurance; I get a discount for having life and homeowner’s through the company, a discount for my good credit score, and I get a 25% refund on my premiums when I remain accident free. Not bad.
If you are looking for ways to cut your auto insurance costs Esurance offers these 8 tips:
- Get referrals from friends if they have lower costs.
- Consider your needs.
- Look at your towing coverage: You may already have it from an auto club (like AAA) membership or from your credit card. Double check. And if you are already covered, take it off your auto policy.
- Drive safe. Avoid tickets and accidents when possible. Obey traffic laws and drive defensively.
- Watch the gap. Pay attention to your gaps in insurance coverage. If you let it lapse, you could see higher rates in your new policy. Make your payments on time (I like automatic withdrawal.)
- Pay your other bills on time. Your credit score can affect your insurance premium. Students can see a reduce rate for keeping good grades.
- Look at your car’s features. When choosing a car, you can get one that has features that lower you insurance premium: safety equipment, anti-theft.
- Customize: Make sure you can tailor your auto insurance policy to your particular needs.
Disclosure: I am not compensated by Esurance. I myself do not use Esurance for my auto coverage.