Are you getting results from your business blog? Is it getting harder for you to spend time on your blog because you´re just not seeing how it is going to pay off? If so, you´re not alone. Hundreds of blogs are started each day and many of them are abandoned after several months because it takes time and energy to keep a good business blog going.
Make no mistake, blogs are a great tool for building community, interacting with potential clients, and marketing your services. And, it´s not enough to set one up and post occasionally. You have to use it effectively to drive traffic and gain readership.
We´ve discovered several common mistakes professionals make with their blogs. Mostly, they aren´t using some the features available to them with their blogging software, because it hasn´t been sufficiently explained. Eyes glaze over with the mention of RSS, pinging, trackbacks and permalinks. Professionals may be ignoring these things, hoping they don´t really need to know. But they do if they want results from their business blog.
Here´s a list of what we found on a recent trip around the professional business blogosphere:
1. Not posting frequently enough. (Recommended: 2-3 times a week.)
2. Content is not focused, and the target audience is not clearly defined.
3. Posting articles that are too long, instead of using extended post features.
4. Not linking profusely (because the professional isn´t researching their field on the internet).
5. Poor spelling, bad grammar and typos.
Tomorrow: Mistakes 6 to 13 on Blog Design. Stay tuned…