Wondering if your business should have a blog? If I owned a jewelry store, here are 12 topics on which I could blog:
1. Differences between types of gold (white, yellow, 14k, 18k) Is there "pure" gold?
2. Diamond grading The "4 C´s," Color, cut, carat, clarity and their impact upon cost
3. Care of your jewelry Check those prongs; don’t immerse opals in soapy water; and no, you can´t keep a 14kt gold chain in the front pocket of your jeans while playing touch football. (Actual true story)
4. High school class rings Sorry, you can´t have the stone from one company and the mount from another. Nor can we get the ring back to you in 48 hours. But give us a chance and we’ll help you build an awesome ring.
5. Why our customer service kicks b**t Our promise to you
6. Repairs and how to get them Turn around time, when a repair can and can´t be made
7. Interviewing employees (including off-site jewelers) and discussing their expertise Make your store employees "human"
8. Wristwatch brands you carry Their features and benefits
9. Hottest trends in jewelry and accessories
10. Suggestions for gifts on Valentines Day, Mothers and Fathers Days, etc.
11. What your business and your employees do to give back to the community
12. Why your business is such a great place to work Attract job applicants
Notice the topics fall into two broad categories-products (including care of) and people. Information about the products can make your customers more knowledgeable and they´ll thank you for it by buying more and referring more.
Posts about your employees and how great a workplace your business is makes you appear more human and less corporate.
Finally, a blog, like a good Web site can attract business. Today people are just a likely to Google "jewelry store" than pick up the Yellow Pages. If they do that and find your blog, your knowledge and warmth could be the difference.
If you blog and you believe businesses should too, pick a business and come up with a list of posts as I did. Due to a site redesign, track backs aren´t tracking back so send me an e-mail and I´ll link to you.