If I were to open a small business knowing that I had to compete with the big national chains, I would assess my environment, then working with my employees, banker, mom and dad, and my wife, etc., create a plan to “hit ‘em where they ain’t.” This plan would include the tactics listed below. You know I am going to insist on legendary customer service. But just how will I do that?
1. Hire service naturals
2. Reward employees who consistently provide legendary customer service
3. Instill a positive, perhaps irreverent attitude in my employees so that they are not afraid to have fun on the job.
4. Offer free services they don’t
7. Remember your customers names, and the names of their family members
8. Treat women with the same respect I treat men
9. Say Thank you, when we deliver the product and with a hand-written thank you note.
10. Follow up after the sale to see if the customer is satisfied
11. Carry items they can’t make a profit on that bring new customers into your store
12. Identify your best customers’ unmet needs and exceed them.
After I created the plan, I would implement it, then evaluate it on an ongoing and regular basis.
If you are a customer service or business blogger, I challenge you to add to the discussion. I know I did not think of them all. If you are not a blogger, feel free to add to the discussion by leaving a comment or emailing me.