In a recent issue of Urology Times, New Orleans urologist Neil Baum, MD outlines 11 steps to enhance the patient’s experience. Baum has been a frequent writer on medical practice marketing for a number of years, and is the author of “Marketing Your Clinical Practice-Ethically, Effectively, and Economically” (published by Jones and Bartlett and available through the usual suspects).
Here are Baum’s 11 steps:
1. Establish phone etiquette
2. Send a welcome-to-the-practice letter
3. See patients on time
4. Make use of social progress notes
5. Avoid closed questions, answered by yes or no
6. Avoid speaking to patients who are undressed.
7. Provide a patient summary
8. Be sure to answer all questions
9. Offer a medication card.
10. Call patients at home
11. Be available through e-mail
We’ve requested a review copy and plan to publish a book review shortly. In the meantime, the article is a worthwhile read.