I have to admit, I have been a bit bored with the typical business management topics lately (you´ll hear more about why next week). I will admit that I get bored with stuff pretty quickly.
Have you had this experience?
I think it is normal to get into a funk every now and then. But just because this is normal, does not mean we should ignore our feelings or let them languish.
Here´s Ten Ways to Beat the Funk at Work
1. Take a "me"?? break. Use a couple vacation days and do something fun.
2. Be sure that you are maximizing your off time (something I have found to be a challenge since off time is not so clear when you work for yourself). By maximizing, I do not mean you should do more. Spend your time connecting, relaxing, and reflecting.
3. Change what you read. Put the business books aside and read a good thriller or travelogue – escape vicariously.
4. Shift your routine at work, if possible. Change hours, projects, or just your rhythm.
5. Get to the bottom of your funk – why do you feel this way? Is it time for a change?
6. Take in an afternoon matinee with a couple peers from work (you´ll make up the time another day). Better yet, invite the boss!
7. Write about what´s going on with you and force yourself to think of alternatives. (Perhaps that is what I am doing right now).
8. Chill out and count your blessings. Don´t let the mucky muck suck you under.
9. Dig out your favorite music (the "up"?? stuff, not the sad stuff) and listen to it at home and in the car. You know, the music that gets your head bopping.
10. Spend more time with your pets or other creatures that think you are wonderful and perfect! (Probably just the pets for most of us)
I have been enjoying writing for my new southwest lifestyle blog called, Chile Pepper. It’s a mental diversion for me, but still involves writing, which I love. I have been writing about fly fishing, chile pepper addiction, artists, Navajo rugs, the Copper Canyon, and more. I guess this is an example of #3 applied to writing.
What are your techniques for getting out of a funk?